2012. szeptember 16., vasárnap


My Personal Medicine Cabinet: prepared and ready for action as the flu season creeps closer

Vitamin C capsules

This is a very important one!  Always have vitamin C capsules at home all year round, because they help strengthen our immune systems!  In general with regards to vitamins, I do not recommend taking them regularly, only when you feel a cold coming on or already have one, because if not, your body will get used to them, and if you suddenly stop taking them you are guaranteed to get sick shortly after.  I know this from experience and I’m sure others out there are also familiar with this yo-yo effect.

I’ve been using the Cetebe brand since I have been living in Hungary and I can highly recommend it because it contains a high dosage of vitamin C, and does not pass through your system too quickly either.  To prevent a cold or illness I will take 1 capsule a day, but if I am already ill I will take 2 which is the maximum stated dose.  Of course, everybody must read the information leaflet inside before use!  You can buy Cetebe over the counter at your local pharmacy (I hope it is available abroad).  I always take a big box of these vitamins with me abroad, because I stay in the UK for longer periods at a time.

Echinacea drops

This medicinal herb is great against colds and the flu.  I often take it in combination with Cetebe.  I am sure you can purchase this at your local pharmacy, but if you are in the UK, you can purchase this at Holland and Barrett.  At the moment I am using the Dr. Theiss brand.  Instructions on how to take these drops can be found on the packaging.  I take the recommended dosage according to which category my cold falls under, prevention or progressing, and I use a tea/tablespoon to measure the dosage out respectively.  One takes the drops orally, and it is recommended that you keep it under your tongue as it absorbs faster on the membrane than if you were to swallow it immediately.  I will warn you however, that this stuff does not taste pleasant, it is alcoholic in taste and will be uncomfortable when kept under the tongue, but I assure you it is all worth it.  I have prevented many colds with this miracle herb.  Naturally, everyone should read the information leaflet inside before use!

Another alternative using Echinacea is to drink it as a herbal infusion.  Pour boiling water onto a teabag of Echinacea tea (or loose herbs), cover and let it steep for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes is can be drunk plain, or flavoured with some honey (for its antiseptic qualities, perfect for sore throats) and 100% lemon juice.  You can even grate some fresh ginger into your tea, because it is the perfect super ingredient against colds!

Balea Calendula Melkfett

This is another Balea product from DM, and, although I don’t always have this at home, I can still recommend it as a warm massage to prevent colds or as a supplement if you already have one.  It is a very oily body lotion that is a beautiful dark yellow in colour, has a floral scent and a texture similar to set honey.  I have this at home primarily during the colder seasons, and it works wonders on dry skin.   The essential oils inside are very good for your skin because calendula helps regenerate your skin cells, and is equally as good if you have a cold due to its warming sensation when massaged into the skin J.

Herbal Tea

From Left to Right: linden blossom and peppermint mix; rosehips; camomile
Although the majority of us all have our cupboards at home stocked with boxes of tea, during the flu season I recommend drinking herbal teas, especially camomile (for its anti-inflammatory properties), Echinacea (because it strengthens our immune systems), peppermint (because of its cooling sensation, making it perfect against a sore throat or coughing), and linden blossom (because it works wonders against catarrh and coughs).  You prepare these as an infusion (the method is explained under Echinacea drops).  Of course I highly recommend that these be drunk plain, but they can be flavoured with honey and 100% (preferably freshly squeezed) lemon juice.  You can even grate some fresh ginger into your tea for that extra kick J!

Rosehip tea: this little vitamin bomb is also high in vitamin C, only the reason why I mention it separately, is because you brew it differently than the other infusions.  Rosehips must be brewed in cold water for a minimum of 4 hours, I recommend steeping it overnight so you can drink it along with breakfast.  The reason why you must brew it in cold water is because the structure of vitamin C will become damaged when heated, this is why it is not recommended that you pour hot water over it!  I can recommend that you drink it with honey and lemon juice, but on its own it is also very delicious, as rosehips naturally have a pleasant flavour.  You’ll often find that rosehips are used as a natural flavour enhancer in many fruit teas, making it a perfect herb for daily consumption J.

Advil (ibuprofen)

I always have this in stock at home because it is great for relieving pain, fevers and inflammation.  If I have a fever I always take this because it is the only thing that will let me get a good night’s sleep (I honestly don’t know how I’d survive flu season without it :p).  At the moment I am using the gel capsule version.  You should be able to purchase this over the counter, and of course, read the information leaflet inside before use!

Apples

“An apple a day keeps the doctor away”… this is very true!  Always eat an apple a day, not just during flu season though, but because apples are vitamin bombs!  They are also cheap and in season at the moment.  Here in the UK I purchase Braeburn apples because I personally like crunchy, juicy and tangy apples J.  The area between the skin and the flesh is what is packed full of vitamins and nutrients, which is why you should never peel and apple before consumption!  It is this time of the year that I start craving a nice big bowl of hot and spiced apple soup (I’ve always preferred it hot rather than chilled :p).

The Conclusion: beauty (inner and outer) and our health always go hand in hand! J

1 megjegyzés: